Hope Church is situated on Stockport Road, Denton in Greater Manchester and seeks to be a living witness to Jesus Christ in the area in which it is called to serve.
Hope United Reformed Church is part of the United Reformed Church in the United Kingdom. Hope was founded in 1836 by a small group of people with assistance from members of Albion Church, Ashton-Under-Lyne (a neighbouring town). The group first met in a cottage on Stockport Road, the exact whereabouts of this cottage are unknown.
The first part of the present site was bought in 1836 and the foundation stone for the original church was laid on 2nd July. The growth which followed meant that an extension to the church was required to increase the size of the chapel and to provide more accommodation for the Sunday School. In 1876 continuing growth meant that the original church was converted into a Sunday School and a much larger church was built along side.
Hope began as an Independent Chapel but the structures of the Congregational Church were soon adopted in 1838. Hope then became the Hope United Reformed Church in 1972 when the United Reformed Church came into being with the joining together of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches.
As is often the case old names are hard to change and Hope today is still known by many of the locals as "Hope Chapel". During much of the 19th Century and into the 20th Century Hope was in the forefront of the Sunday School Movement. Hope really was a school with reading and writing classes of various grades. Some of the groups that met on the premises included: a Philosophical Society, a String Orchestra, and a Choir which brought home prizes from the Choral Festivals at the Crystal Palace.
There was always something going on and the Sunday School buildings were lit up to such an extent that the building was christened: "The Lighthouse" by the local community.
In 1967 due, in part, to a generous legacy by the founder of the Boys' Brigade Company at Hope, and Captain of the Company for 55 years, Mr. Thomas Thornhill, there were sufficient funds to commence the building of the current church hall to replace the original 1836 building and its extensions. This work started a series of building projects which completely rebuilt the premises between 1967 and 1976. The large Victorian church was demolished in December 1973 due to dry rot in the roof, and the present church, the third to be built on the site, opened in November 1974. Additional rooms including a vestry, meeting rooms, boilerhouse and workroom were added at the rear of the church in 1976. Again today the buildings are used extensively throughout each week.